University Heights scoop shop Stella Jean’s is bringing back its hit ice cream collaboration series, “Scoops From Around the World,” for a limited time starting Friday of Labor Day weekend. A series of flavors celebrating flavors from around the world, co-owner and head ice cream maker Gan Suebsarakham collaborated with five San Diego chefs to create flavors inspired by global cuisines, originally releasing the lineup on National Ice Cream Day to much fanfare . The flavors were so popular – with lines down the block all day – that the modern day scoop shop has decided to bring each flavor back for a weekend at a time – kicking off over Labor Day weekend.
Gan is from Khon Kaen, Thailand, and came to the U.S. when he was 25 to pursue his dream of opening a business. Together with his partner, Steven Torres, Gan has now opened both Stella Jean’s and Pop Pie Co., where he is the executive chef.
Since Stella Jean’s opened last fall, he has regularly collaborated with local chefs, but he wanted to bring together a group to showcase lesser known flavors that resonate with San Diego’s immigrant and expat communities who seek flavors from back home in their new home.
From L-R: Brazil, France and Middle East.
Here’s the schedule of availability for each flavor:
- Kickoff Weekend, Thailand & Middle East – Friday, August 30th thru Monday, September 2nd
- Weekend 2, Mexico – Friday, September 6th thru Sunday, September 8th
- Flavor Available: Mexico (from Chef Claudette Zepeda-Wilkins, celebrity chef and James Beard Award nominee / Sweet and spicy cinnamon ice cream with cajet envinada, Chongos Zamoranos and candied milk curds)
- Weekend 3, France – Friday, September 13th thru Sunday, September 15th
- Flavor Available: France (from Chef Melanie Dunn of Patisserie Melanie / French Lavender ice cream with shortbread, butter cookies and lavender florets)
- Weekend 4, Brazil – Friday, September 20th thru Sunday, September 22nd
- Flavor Available: Brazil (from Chef Yara Lamers / Pineapple Dulce de Leche)
- Weekend 5, Philippines – Friday, September 28th thru Sunday, September 29th
- Flavor Available: Philippines (from Chef Jamie Decena of Cowboy Star / Toasted Buttered Pandesal with Pandesal Toffee Swirl)