Memorial Day is just over two weeks away and if you’ve already got your weekend barbecue menu nailed down, well then…you’re way ahead most of us! If you’re one of those people who are still working on the details or too busy to have given it any thought yet, you are in luck. We’ve rounded up some impressive side dish recipes to serve to your family and friends this Memorial Weekend.
Grilled Baby Romaine
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kevin Templeton of barleymash
Serves: 1 – 4
- 4 heads baby romaine lettuce
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup high quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon herbs de province
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shaved parmesan
Cut the baby romaine lettuce in half (long ways). Generously pour olive oil and balsamic into the romaine crevices. Sprinkle the top of the lettuce with the herbs de province, and season with salt and pepper. Place the romaine heads on a hot grill and char on both sides for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pull off of the grill and top with shaved parmesan.
“This dish is one of my favorite sides when I grill. It capitalizes on the beautiful heads of baby romaine you can get during the summer. Its light, fresh, fun and easy to make,” says Chef Kevin.
- 1 pound watermelon, diced into large cubes
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced
- 2 red radishes, shaved
- 1 handful mint, chopped
- 1 Thai chili, minced
- 1 handful Thai basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted cashews, chopped
- 5 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl and voila – summer is served!
Nothing says summer kickoff like a recipe based around fresh watermelon
Chipotle Lime Slaw
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael C. Brown of Barrel Republic
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tbs. fresh squeezed lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chipotle puree
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- ½ bunch green onions, chopped
- ½ bunch of cilantro
Mix mayo, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, salt and chipotle. Add to cabbage, chopped onion and cilantro.
Barrel Republic serves this slaw atop their new Fried Shrimp Sandwich, but it’s so tasty you can enjoy it by itself!