October is National Dessert Month and Nick & G’s, which recently opened in Rancho Santa Fe has some decadent desserts worth celebrating!
Friends and families alike are invited to savor the tastiest in Mediterranean/Italian dining at Nick & G’s, which offers a variety of pastas and signature flatbreads, among other delicious menu items. After dinner, customers can indulge in one of the restaurant’s desserts, including the Chocolate Cake. While rich in flavor and tasty to the very last bite, the chocolate cake can easily be made in your own home!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
Recipe Courtesy of Nick & G’s
Ingredients for Cake:
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 11/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 3 cups soften butter
- 10 cups unsweetened cocoa (sifted) Confection Sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. expresso powder
To create cake:
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, water and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well blended.
- Pour batter mixture into two 9’greased cake pans.
- Bake at 350′ for approx. 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool off before frosting.
To create frosting:
- Cream in mixer butter and cocoa.
- Add 1 cup sugar and 1 tbsp. milk at a time.
- Mix on high for 1 minute after each addition until gone.
- Add vanilla & espresso powder at end.
- Mix till fully combined – adjust with milk or sugar if needed.
- Once cake is frosted, add any desired berry or fruit toppings.