Is there any more dynamic duo than chips and guac? February 24th marks National Tortilla Chip Day in honor of the crunchy snack loved by millions! While traditionally served with guacamole, salsa or queso, up your chip game this year with a drink unlike any other. Inspired by this iconic pairing, the Avoquato cocktail at San Diego’s top tequila bar Jalisco Cantina brings together sweet and savory flavor profiles to pay homage to this Mexican favorite in drink form, complete with a crumbled tortilla chip rim!
A staple of the Oceanside community, Jalisco Cantina is making waves for their handcrafted cocktails and upscale Mexican cuisine. Named for the region of Mexico that gives the gift of the beloved blue agave plant and some of the finest tequilas in the world, Jalisco Cantina’s wide selection of fine tequila and mezcal flights fuels the one-of-a-kind cocktails crafted by creative Bar Manager Amy DeLee. Capitalizing on the latest trend of shrubs, the Avoquato combines the fruity and tart flavors of lime and kumquat, kaffir lime and lemongrass shrub with the savory profile of sea salt, orgeat and tequila. What sets this drink apart is undoubtedly the creamy avocado paired with the crunchy, salted tortilla chip rim to finish!
We’ve included the recipe below for you thirsty readers looking for an out-of-the-box cocktail that captures these south-of-the-border flavors and classic tortilla chip crunch!
(760) 429-1679 · 213 N Coast Hwy, Oceanside, CA 92054 · http://thejaliscocantina.com/
Recipe courtesy of Jalisco Cantina
- 2 oz. Luna Azul
- 3/4 oz. Nostrum Kumquat/ Kaffir Lime / Lemongrass Shrub
- 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 wedge of ripe avocado
- 1/2 oz. orgeat
- pinch of salt
- tortilla chips – finely crushed
- Dip your coup rim into a small plate of orgeat and then into finely crushed tortilla chips.
- Combine drink ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Double strain into a coup.
- Use a muddler to shift small remaining bits of avocado through the mesh into the coup.