2020 has been a year of adversity for everyone, and restaurants have not been immune to the trials and tribulations this pandemic has presented. In honor of San Diego’s triumphant industry workers, try your hand at their very own recipes, snap some photos of your work, and tag them on social media to show your support for their craft!
Peanut Butter Pie
Recipe courtesy of Union Kitchen & Tap Encinitas
Yields 1 pie (cut into 8 slices)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter, creamy
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 ea. Oreo pie crust
- Chocolate sauce (as needed)
- White chocolate shavings (as needed)
- Roasted peanuts, crushed (as needed)
- Add the granulated sugar, vanilla extract and heavy cream to a bowl and whip until stiff peaks. You just made whipped cream! Reserve for later.
- Make sure peanut butter and cream cheese are room temperature. Add peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and evaporated milk to a bowl attached to a KitchenAid with whip attachment. Mix ingredients until incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from KitchenAid. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the reserved whipped cream to fully incorporate with the peanut butter filling.
- Pour peanut butter filling into pie shell and smooth and level top. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle shaved white chocolate and crushed roasted peanuts on top. Place in a cooler to make the top layer harder.
Recipe courtesy of Breakfast Republic
Yields 3 pancakes
- 3/4 Cups Pancake Flour (or Pancake Mix)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Butter (softened)
Churro sugar mix
- 3 Tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Churro sugar mix as needed
- Powdered Sugar as needed
- In a bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Whisk in egg, milk and butter to make a smooth batter.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour batter onto heated griddle to make 3 large pancakes, and sprinkle churro sugar mix onto each pancake while cooking.
- Assemble by placing pancakes on a plate, sprinkle additional churro sugar mix on top of each pancake and finish with powdered sugar.
Man Candy Bacon
Recipe Courtesy of Fig Tree Cafe
- 1 lb. 10/12 applewood bacon
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and place on aluminum tray.
- Place in oven for 10 to 15 min until bacon is cooked.
Recipe courtesy of Breakfast Company
- ½ cup black mole paste
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- (if you cannot find black mole paste, you can use 3 Cups of your favorite mole!)
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ each yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- ¾ cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 12 tortillas
- 8 eggs
- Mexican crema
- Pickled red onions
- Make your mole sauce: In a small saucepan, place veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the mole paste little by little until fully incorporated and smooth. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Keep warm until use. (If it starts getting too thick, you can always add more stock!).
- For the stuffing: Cut your shrimp into 4 pieces each. Heat butter in a skillet and add onions and garlic to it. Cook until onions start browning slightly. At this point, mix in the cut shrimp and cook until done. Season with salt and pepper. Take out of the heat and cool down slightly (you want your filling to stay warm). Place into a bowl and mix in with Monterrey jack cheese once shrimps have cooled down a bit.
- Enmolada time! On a pan with oil, slightly fry each tortilla to soften (do not over fry or they will get hard). Divide shrimp stuffing between all 12 tortillas and roll into tacos. (if your stuffing is cold, you can reheat in a sauté pan or even in the microwave!) Bring your mole sauce to a high simmer. Place a little mole on each plate and place 3 enmoladas on top. Cover the enmoladas with the hot mole sauce.
- Top with 2 eggs cooked any style, and garnish with crema, pickled onions and cilantro.